![]() |
so, what is this "bozeman" place? so far as we can tell, it's a mix of academics, former hippies, cowboys, and nature lovers. oh, and - in the summer - people visiting yellowstone. what sounds exciting about that? well, let us fill you in. . .
1. Boz Angeles: This nickname was bestowed in the last decade, as more and more Californians and celebrities started heading toward Big Sky Country. John Mayer hails from here. Rumor has it that Johnny Depp and the Jolie-Pitts have homes as well, though their sightings appear less frequently. People regularly see the likes of Michael Keaton, David Letterman, and other names that I always recognize when Matt says them, but never remember myself.

2. The out-of-doors: How's this photo look to you? ->
Not too shabby, eh?
That's what we thought. And you'll see what they do with all of that space if you google Bozeman paired with any of the following: running, hiking, fishing, canoe, kayak, bike, trail, parks, skiing, snowshoe, well. . . .you get the idea. We are SO excited about the opportunities for playing out of doors. We are even more excited to learn that you can rent most of the necessary equipment from the University. In an unexpected way, my joining the winter running program here turns out to even more beneficial, as my former attitude about staying inside all winter long (out of necessity) is slowing changing. Slowly.
3. The "City": It's no secret that I'm more drawn to the city lights and Matt would prefer a more secluded existence. We're realizing more and more that Bozeman presents a really nice opportunity to compromise on this. We can live close enough to places that walking or biking to work/lunch/etc. - and generally being around people - remains plausible. However, we'll be in a small enough place that everyone isn't right on top of each other, people have yards, and nature is still just a few steps away. I'm not going to lie, though, I'm still holding out hope that an H&M might show up at some point. As is Matt, I'm sure, that we end up living next to a stream in a forest with friendly wildlife as neighbors :)
4. Montana has no sales tax. I don't think I need to explain how or why that is awesome.
5. Local eats: We are slowly learning more and more about how self-sustained life can apparently be in Bozeman. Not for me, of course, because I know nothing about catching or cooking food (though I do remember being in our garden when I was little), but for people with more knowledge about such things. There is a whole list of CSAs in the Bozeman area, Matt found this place that stocks kinds of fresh fish that I've never even heard of (but don't click on the "home" link. the pictures are not good.), and neither one of us hit a local restaurant that we didn't like.
6. An airport!: Given how much I've come to love having the Madison airport only 2.5 miles away, I'm super excited for Matt to understand how awesome it is to not have the drive to the airport take over an hour. My family (and Karen) should note the direct flights to/from Minneapolis. Matt's family (and Kara) should note the "word on the street" that Southwest is thinking of joining the Boz team.
![]() |
| downtown bozeman |
7. Local events: As it turns out, downtown Bozeman has a pretty active social life. There are lots of regular happenings, including weekly music and drinks on main street. To add to the draw, main street is freaking adorable and littered with independent local businesses. We like all of these things.
Obviously, this is not an inclusive list. And everything is secondary to the excitement that we feel about FINALLY being able to live and work in the same place. But we are pretty pumped about what 2013 will be bringing us. Not that 2010 - 2012 were devoid of major life events. But, you know, this is definitely one that we have been waiting for for a while!


1 comment:
I can't tell you how excited I am for the both of you! Congrats! Bozeman looks boz-some.
Post a Comment